Thursday, May 10, 2007

A Sob Story

The results are in...

And I did not make the drumline. I will spend my summer Tuesday and Thursday nights with the "Front Ensemble". In a marching band, the Front Ensemble (or pit) is the collection of mallet keyboards and accessory instruments at the front of the field. These players are still percussion and provide a melody and background effects, but do not march. I have nothing against the pit or the people who play in it. It takes an incredible amount of skill. But I really really love to march. I love that drumline, and it sucks that I was beat out by a friend I was sure I'd stick with, and a rookie. That means I'm really not good at all.

So today, after reading the new Walton Marching Band Percussion rankings, I found my name and walked away. I'm not sure what everyone else made; I was in a bit of a daze for the next three hours until my mom came to pick me up. She understands my disappointment and thankfully is not disappointed in me. I'm disappointed in me. I worry others are too. That's worse, you know, letting down other people.

So I'm home now, all alone until Jack and Skye get home. My face is a bit soggy and my spirits are shot, but there's a chocolate cake in the oven and an impressive Tivo assortment. I'll get through it. Until next year...

5 comments:

Flenker said...

Sorry to hear that, Lucy! In my marching band days, there were people who would play in the pit to avoid marching, I never understood them. But, I did like some of the stuff they pit members were able to do.

And on the bright side, you have a chocolate cake in the oven! I'm infinitely jealous.

Anonymous said...

Lucy-

That stinks...

Although I have to say that hauling crap around in the hot sun in a uniform doesn't seem exciting to me. I want to drum in the air-conditioning!

I doubt you disappointed anyone..

Stay classy, you...


;)

Anonymous said...

Hey,
You didn't disappoint anyone else. Don't worry. We love you, pit or not.

H said...

Sorry about drumline. I am sure that no one is disappointed in you - hang in there and keep practicing for next year!

Anonymous said...

oh honey... who did this to you ... and where can i find them... this person is obviously a fraud and i want them outted...love from your aunt jenn