Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Age of Maturity?


I've been thinking...while wisdom may increase with years, maturity eventually reaches a standstill save the initial years of mental and social progression. I know many immature adults: in their lives, kids and friends. I'm sure you do too. So, then, through parental influence, environment, and the genes themselves, maturity in the end is all it will be.

This explains how little difference in age affects friendship. Twenty year old women will fall in love with thirty-seven year old men, sisters become best friends despite their ten year age difference, it just doesn't matter. The most productive conversations I've had have been with parents' friends. The older we get the less the difference seems. Ten and fifteen? Iffy. But twenty and twenty-five...no problem.

I wonder if I am trapped in my age. I'm just a little guy, but I have my own share of wonderments and observations...some of which develop into worthwhile posts. Once my lack of years is realized, opinions will become what they must. I don't forsee a change in my level of thought in the next ten years. Twenty, even. I understand changing views through years of experience, but not in acuteness or profoundness. I learn wonderful new things about people and places every day and approach them with the same earnestness, openness, keenness, and depth.

This here thought stemmed from my observations of the world: teens beyond their years and adults behind them.

5 comments:

Stephen said...

I had horrible writer's block until i read this... then i took off on my own aging tangent.

don't worry, I gave you the credit.

H said...

I always felt more comfortable around adults than around people my own age. Even now, at 23, I still tend to get along better with older people. I'm not sure if it's because I'm an only child and didn't interact much with people my own age or what.

Oz said...

My Mom is 70. Her best friend is 40, two years younger than me (her youngest child).

Flenker said...

so H, are you calling me old??? :)

I'm kind of in a reverse situation, I'm in a college town, where I'm older than many of the people I associate with on a regular basis. It's not a huge age difference, usually 4 or 5 years. But at times, I can definitely tell. I don't have many opportunities to hang out with people much older than me, but for now, I'm fine with the situation.

Also, I'll email your questions to you soon. :)

Flenker said...

ok, questions have been emailed to the address in your profile... Have fun!! :)