Monday, May 14, 2007

Periodical Wisdom

I recently read (maybe it was Men's Journal...) that the way to judge a relationship is not through one's reaction to bad news, but to good news.

I heartily agree with this observation. Sympathy is quite universal. It's safe to say that a friend one trusts with bad news is trusted to ease the pain, sorrow, frustration, etc. How capable that friend is of handling happy information is a separate entity entirely.

Ex: "I might be going to California to see my aunt this summer!!"
"I'm going to an Ohio amusement park."
"Oh... that's cool, too." Notice the deadened enthusiasm.

Or: "I could make section leader next year!!"
"That would never happen. Oh, I mean, just kidding. Sure."
Good save.

These are recent, real-life interactions that left much to be desired. The words "I'm so sorry!" are expected. "I'm so proud of you!" is a phrase heard less often. It's a surprisingly revealing indicator.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

huh. I feel like i've had that section leader conversation way too many times.

H said...

Totally off topic: consider yourself tagged.

Point Dexter said...

Amen sister!

Jad said...

Very cool...this post really got me thinking.

H said...

This is really interesting. Also, I'm looking forward to future posts in which you tag "Men's Journal."