Friday, April 27, 2007

Yes, There Is a Poetry Club

Fliers posted with that headline summoned me to B-223 this afternoon. Three juniors, three sophomores, and me. All girls. It was fun, nonetheless...I'd had a hankering for people watching. It's refreshing, being thrown into a room full of strangers. No pretenses, no reputation.

Some read original pieces, and another read "A Boy Named Sue" written by Shel Silverstein. This was surprising to me; I only ever knew it as Johnny Cash's hit. Turns out Silverstein was a songwriter...and a good one at that. Poetry and songwriting go hand in hand, I suppose.

A literary magazine is published at the end of every year. I can contribute anything but can't be on staff for another two years. Considering I'm the only member my age, I could soon be the club's president. Sweet.

2 comments:

Jad said...

Hey, thanks for the comment. I'm glad you've been able to find some new music. That's what it's all about, after all.

I like what you have going here. You and Flenker are now my two regular non-music blogs. Keep it up.

Jad

Flenker said...

wow, I had no idea that it was Shel Silverstein either! Thanks for teaching me something new today, Lucy! And good luck with the Poetry Club, sounds like it could be some fun.