Saturday, April 7, 2007

Timeless Psalms

"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer, by night, and am not silent. Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One; you are the praise of Israel. In you our fathers put their trust; they trusted and you delivered them. They cried to you and were saved; in you they trusted and were not disappointed."

Psalm 22:1-5


When I read the Psalms, I am amazed how little the heart for God has changed over past hundreds of years. The humble psalmists cry for mercy, for the face of God. How different is that from any soul today, lost or found? Searching for direction, a listener, redemption, conversation, love. It calls out to me like nothing else I read. Knowing that others have been in my place...

I guess I always knew that. I am not so ignorant as to believe I am a pioneer in these shadows. But no matter how independent any thought, companionship, particularly similarly motivated companionship, has the power to heal pain. Through Christ and how He's inspired followers through the years, He is healing my pain.

He answers prayers. When I was in the greatest danger, under the heaviest doubt, He answered. And I held on because I knew He would. I knew He would lift the shadow.

No comments: