Thursday, April 5, 2007

Soggy Wishes

The most satisfying spring breaks are spent at home...if you like nothing more than a good errand. What's wrong with you?

Just kidding. Today was a bank run. My dad would have liked to take the little red convertible. A bit too chilly, I say. How about a motorcycle? How logical is that. But whatever. The bank is one of my favorite rides. And besides, the helmet keeps my face warm.

Our bank has a big beautiful fountain, crooked today because of the wind. Out of my mother's black denim jacket pocket I pull two pennies, thankful they didn't find the hole in the corner. Wanna make a wish, Dad? My favorite part about these wishes, is seeing the ones made before me..each represented by a one-cent piece. Today however, a thick layer of soil covers the depths of the fountain, concealing past hopes - both shiny and dull. My father flips the penny as far as he can. I'm not sure what he wished, or if he even did. Obviously the flight of the penny was more important. Where will you put yours? he asks. I think for a bit and toss it a few feet in front of me. He never asks what I wish for. He knows I wouldn't say.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

I really like how you use your words...

i know i only posted on this one, but your other's are impressive. truth be told.