Sunday, April 24, 2011

Sweetest Downfall

Man, does life speed by.

High school was this era of welcome stagnance. It got stuffy sometimes and sometimes I wanted to take a spring day and use it to run away, but I was probably going to come home for dinner. I was in love for the majority of it, so my skin glowed differently. And I was hopeful for most of it, so my words rang differently.

I'm not in love anymore, but my words still ring a little differently. And when they tell you high school is "the glory days," put a mental "some of" in front of it. They are the days during which you learn how to fill your days with glory. They are the days in which you learn how to brush yourself off after a particularly gloryless day. The days when your friends are the best and your grades are the worst. Then college comes around, and you wait for better friends and worse grades....

but I'm still not entirely sure that's part of the deal. The years you use to most form yourself will always seem an anchor in a better time. And the days that have you saying, "Wow. I might belong here." should not be overlooked. Because while you don't belong there, wherever it is you do will have taken a hint from then.

It's rough, you know. I don't want what I had, but what I had is my anchor in that time. I could never embrace ignorance, and so I'll never be able to go back, but that's my gain. Why aren't all gains peaceful?

Eyes can turn natives into tourists. Time can turn lovers into strangers, and girls into birds.

I'll be aiming for the sun until it's time to aim for the moon. Just call me when dinner's ready.

2 comments:

Jack said...

it's spoken word.
almost.
I imagine you reading it like it were.

Anonymous said...

reading this made me understand my own thoughts even more. incredible lucy. always incredible.