Friday, October 1, 2010

Mumford & Me

*first, a shout out to my dear Molly, whose name I drop as often as I hear Mumford & Sons raved about. :)

"But you and I now, we can be alright
Just hold on to what we know is true
You and I now, ‘though it’s cold inside
Can feel the tide turning

He can't tell what it’s about
So he runs up to the nearest girl
And he comments on her glorious curls
Says darling come with me
I'll show you a whole new world"

***

"And my head told my heart
'Let love grow'
But my heart told my head
'This time no'
This time no"

That last chunk is quoted pretty often because it's pretty relatable. The whole head v. heart battle is universal. The sensation I've been....sensing, however, is that my heart is willing, and my head is not. I don't know how I went from knowing I find myself in love so knowing I don't need love to find myself, but it's a very strong distinction that I can't fight. I've chalked it up to "being in a new phase of my life," but the strings attached to that are invisible. I never expected this phase to be so...solitary. I was happy when I was in love, ecstatic and sure and glowy and effervescent and confident and optimistic. I am still some of those things. Even the "in love" is on the table. But the table has wobbly legs. Didn't I take the right preventative measures? Isn't my heart supposed to be stronger than my head?

I take solace in the fact that God is stronger than my head and my heart. And my overanalyzing and my doubt and my worry and my fear and my solitude.

Solitude.

***

"The question I would have liked to ask people is 'Are you in love? What are you reading?'"

Cheers, darlings. And feel free to answer those questions.

5 comments:

Molly Sharp said...

oh my lucy, How You bring light to my face and meaning to my heart.

I am in love with the idea of love, and i am reading Le miserables ( i know, I am ion college now)

Ren said...

And therein lies the rub; Is your heart supposed to be stronger than your head? Often your heart is directed by your head as it considers many variables, some of which may be subconscious.

The only instances I know of where your heart should be stronger than your head is if you're faced with the opportunity to help or rescue somebody in danger, or if you're actually in battle during wartime.

The rest of the time your head should be stronger than your heart. Life really does end up being more fun that way.

Tayler Moosa said...

The more I think about the idea of 'love', the more I realize that I really don't believe in it one bit. Well, clearly that can't be entirely true, but what I mean is that I don't think it's practical given that one desires to search for truth in every facet of life. As someone who would rather be right than happy, I don't think that love's an option for me if I'm going to be honest with both you and myself.

I'm reading book two of Physics by Aristotle for class and it's about nature and the form of the particular. Nothing too interesting. But I'm also reading Morality of War that discusses just war theory which is interesting.

Guess who misses who???

Ren said...

Ahhhh, young Tayler, sitting on the Starbucks patio with the wise menu board peering over your shoulder, I have wonderful news; love is very very real, and many times in your life you will be right, and because you are right, you will also be happy.

Akanksha said...

Hey Luce,

I haven't commented in a while, so I thought I would :) I like this post a lot because I can definitely relate with the dilemma. It's funny how many situations we share..

To answer your questions, yes, I am absolutely in love. (And it makes me happier than I've been before.) Oh, I'm reading Stephen Pinker's The Stuff of Thought and Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen.

Much love to NYC from Boston :)