Friday, November 7, 2008

Sorry Charlie

Charlie loved Anna from far away.
He saw her once on the tube
and vowed to tour where she lived
worked laughed cried ate walked loved
he vowed to give her new reason to love
(Charlie thinks he's the hero,
but he needs more love than he has to give.)

Anna wears business suits.
Houndstooth, when she can get away with it.
She never wears green.
Anna already loved,
lied, and lost.
She vowed to never return love blindly.
If her love was a response to devotion,
he would be hurt.
He would love her too much.

No shows sold out
and most of the seats were radio prizes
but poor Englishmen, Charlie figures,
are like poor American men
but speak in accent.
"Would you like to 'ave tea wif me, Ahna?
Oh, blahst. Do you 'ave any cahsh?"
Yes. She would love his empty, British pockets.

Anna loves her job.
She presents cold fronts and storm threats
on a daily basis
and says things like "Back to you, Don."
They love her there,
even though her big, red curls cover Iowa sometimes.
She eats in the station lounge
where a stranger finds her.
A stranger named Charlie.

"Ello, Ahna."
"Um. Hello."
"Oi'm Chahlie. Oi, uh, get the Weathuh Channel
in my apahtment back home. Oi saw you."
"Yes, well. That's where most people do."
"Oi've come to see you. Heah, in real loife.
Oi fink oi luf you."
"--Do you now. I'm flattered. And, quite frankly,
a bit amazed. But I'm sorry, Charlie. I can't love you back."

"Yes, yes, but oi 'oped you could...try."
"What do you drink, Charlie? Tea?"
"Shuh. Blahck."
"Let's get some. My treat. For your trouble.

I want you to know, I can only love you first.
I can't love you because you love me."
"Thaht's okay, Ahna. Oi wouldn't wahnt you to.

Ahna?"
"Yeah."
"Oi like yoh suit."
"Thanks.
I like your accent."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was fanatastic, and your british accents were very convincing. I also liked the transition from Britain to America, very creative.

P.S. I got first read. BAM.

Anonymous said...

Productive lunch. Your narrative poems are my favorite : )

Stephen said...

i enjoyed this. kinda gives me hope for people today.