Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Ingrid Michaelson w/ Special Guest, Greg Laswell @ Variety Playhouse 6.10.08

[my first scanned ticket! Greg wasn't listed,
so I asked him to list himself :)]
["who's Greg Laswell?"]
["ah okay. I gotcha." He was the best opening act
I've seen thus far.]
[Ingrid in her "dress/shirt" with ukelele]
["This is not a back-view dress."]
[during "Die Alone," perhaps...?]
[whole band during last, post-encore song]

My good friend Chris Flenker first introduced me to Ingrid Michaelson with this very post. I am forever grateful. You know that penguin movie? The cartoon, not the wow-those-are-honest-to-God-penguins antarcticumentary. Happy Feet! That's it. If you've seen it, you remember that every penguin has a heartsong. I've stumbled upon a handful of heartsongs and can't seem to settle on a single selection, but Michaelson's latest album, Girls and Boys, includes at least three or four. She has that voice and those lyrics. The kind that reiterate the reasons why musicians better explain your feelings to you than you ever could.

[...And the kind that, under the right circumstances, could draw a good cry. Take for example 'I am in love with a boy/manufactured to destroy' from "Lady In Spain," or 'You finished first/I must catch up with you/You have had your fill of me' from "December Baby." ]

She plays live like the CD sounds. It's beautiful. Not to mention how satisfyingly hilarious she is. Nothing ups a show's likability like a side of dry, comedic material.

Greg Laswell, who's touring with her and opened for her show, was unexpectedly great. I might have guessed that Ingrid would settle for nothing nothing less than the bar she sets with her own music. He earned the ticket price with his set alone.

And to tie it off? Yes. A little Ingrid right at your fingertips.
...well she's actual size, but this sample of her work is rather teeny.
And a sidenote: The "dorky clown that kisses her" is none other than Mr. Laswell....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someday before you die you will share a kiss that brings tears to your eyes. You will reach down and kiss somebody you love who is dying.

Flenker said...

wow, I'm glad you liked it! I'm so honored not only to be linked, but to be called a good friend! :) I'm jealous, I missed here when she came through here. I'll be sure to try to catch her the next time around

Anonymous said...

Just found your post lookin for peeps who've seen their show, I'm prolly going to the performance in LA. I love Greg's EP "How the Day Sounds" and can't wait to hear the new tracks on his new album that comes out in July- Three Flights from Alto Nido. Thanks for posting! -Kelly