Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Swell Season: Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre 5.13.08

[Venue before the show]

[The Swell Season]

[Once more, Glen Hansard front and center]

[with Marketa Irglova on piano]

[and then again on guitar]

On the last night before my AP exam, a couple friends took me to see Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova -- collectively known as The Swell Season. They are the Oscar award winning stars of the 2007 film, Once. They were up there in Best Shows Ever. I always hate that I haven't saved every concert ticket stub, since I've seen more artists than I now remember. The Swell Season was better than those guys. Is that worth anything? I think so.

What caught both my eye and ear was how they opened. Using a very suitable, crowd-pacifying tactic (they showed about 20 minutes after a tardy and yawnworthy opening act), Hansard strapped up his characteristic worn in guitar and stepped in front of the mic. Using no amplification, he preceded to hammer out a version of 'Say It to Me Now' that drew my jaw to the ground. Wiping our memories of previous impatience, they followed up with a show that proved, personally, better than the film. And the film was spectacular.

What's more, the passionate vocals and rhythms came in a close second to Hansard's comedic ability and insight. About halfway through, he shared that Marketa had offered him $100 to not speak between songs. He said he just couldn't do it. An explanation or anecdote preceded every song, but it was strangely welcomed. "Strangely" because I often brush aside background information that too completely analyzes the lyrics. Hansard's synopses, however, were the most candid and heartstring-plucking I'd ever heard. I found myself searching fruitlessly for an illegal recording device.

One of my favorite parts: as Marketa hooked up her guitar (see picture 4 and rewind your imagination), she asked for Glen to stall. *Must read out loud in endearing Irish accent*
"Tell a joke, Glen!"
"Hm, what? Oh! Okay here's one. How do you know ET was a Protestant?

He looks like one!"

And for your listening pleasure...that you may understand and adopt my extremely glorifying bias:

6 comments:

H said...

Lovely pictures, Lucy! I need you to pass your photography skills onto me.

I still haven't seen Once, but it's in my Netflix queue.

Anonymous said...

Might be listening to Swell Season right now.
I totally agree, normally I hate jabber as I think it kills the autonomy of art, but he was so clever and insightful. Fantastic.

Isorski said...

Great photos, and thanks for the review. I caught Swell Season at the start of the tour in Portland and they were fantastic. I posted a review on my blog at http://isorski.blogspot.com/2008/04/concert-review-swell-season.html. Check it out!

Flenker said...

I just watched that movie Monday, and I loved it! Especially that song. I would really really love to see these guys live sometime. I'm jealous!!! :)

Stephen said...

one of my favorites of all time.

how i wished i lived in a city that had more than hardcore music.

Jack said...

I look forward to many more concert reviews!(DMB)