Friday, October 5, 2007

Po-et-ry

"And what do you like to do, Lucy?"
"I like to write."
"Ah, what do you write?"
"Poetry."

Though not quite so bland and straightforward, this exchange, in some form, has worked its way into many recent conversations. After explaining to the asker (and, perhaps, to myself), "I write poetry because [fill-in-the-blank]," I found myself wondering if I do, in fact, write poetry. What is poetry? Do I give myself too much credit in labeling every stanzaed work a poem?

Who might know the answer to this question? Why, Mr. Webster, of course.

po-et-ry (n.): 1. a: Metrical writing. b: The productions of a poet. 2: Writing that formulates a concentrated, imaginative awareness of experience in language chosen and arranged to create a specific emotional response through meaning, sound, and rhythm. 3: Something likened to poetry especially in beauty of expression.

After discovering this, I can identify with the second choice. I write with language meant to convey an emotional response. On occasion, it is concentrated and imaginative... but does this alone constitute 'productions of a poet'? Pray tell, Mr. Webster.

po-et (n.): 1: One who writes poems; a maker of verses. 2: One (as a creative artist) of great imaginative and expressive capabilities and special sensitivity to the medium.

So far, so good. Dare I inquire further?

po-em (n.): 1: A composition in verse. 2: Something suggesting a poem (as in expressiveness, lyricism, or formal grace).

The term 'poetry' is rather subjective, as I should have known - Mr. Webster always has the hardest time with abstract nouns (he offers nine options for the word 'love', to little avail). I consider my musings poetry partly by default, but partly by personal opinion. Ultimately, the label stays.

6 comments:

H said...

You're a poet. And such a good writer. That was such an eloquently written post...I'm envious.

Stephen said...

It's been fun watching you be able to get your mind out with words. I'm glad you found my writing so that i could find yours.

your gift is about a fifth done, by the way. I think you'll like it.

Whiskeymarie said...

You are a poet, and a lovely writer at that.
Stop doubting yourself.
;)

Point Dexter said...

If you're having doubts, just write some more. --even if you hate it. It helps me anyway. I'll analyze my work to shreds, rewrite it, shred it, rewrite it again until I'm finally satisfied.

As for doubts, who needs them? If you're passionate about what you're doing, then stick with it!

Captain Crab said...

Trust me, I am a pirate and pirates know stuff, you ARE a poet!

Anonymous said...

I had a really good arts teacher in college who said something that still sticks with me. In short, he claimed that anything is art, be it created or already existing, as long is there is someone who frames it as so. I think there is a lot of truth in that.