Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Alongside

the colors race by
the stars overhead
the wind pushes on
the shadows tag along

each new streetlight
gives birth to a silhouette
a darker, shallower me
following alongside

as her head turns to the sky
i see the stars
as her hair blows back
it whips my face

they will do anything to keep up,
the driver and she
scaling speed bumps and curbs
and neighboring lanes

disappearing into the pavement
they taper into nothingness.
when the streets are dark
they are gone

1 comment:

Point Dexter said...

You don't feel like yourself do you? You mentioned birth, shallow, and the imagery of moving pavement is very lonesome.

I know this was probably just an expression of feelings, but if you ever need to chat, send me an email and we can go from there. I'm always up for a good chit-chat.