Monday, April 30, 2007

Trying Fiction On for Size

After learning about the Iowa Young Writers' Workshop yesterday afternoon, I have begun writing in preparation for the application. Along with a 1-2 page explanation of why I want to go and a teacher recommendation, I must turn in ten pages of completed work. Those ten pages would be easier to fill if a well-developed story was included, no? But that whole well-developed thing...

I'll be eligible to participate in this junior version of the prestigious Writers' Workshop next summer. For two weeks in June, "120 young writers from across the country come together to share their work, practice craft, and improve their writing in Iowa City, Iowa". Sounds like a blast to me. Plus, it doesn't interrupt band camp.

"If writers were musicians, the Iowa Writers’ Workshop would be like one long jam session." - Sara Langenberg

3 comments:

Flenker said...

That would be an awesome opportunity for you to come here to Iowa City! While I've never been a part of the program, I'm envious of those that are, and would have loved to been in it had things worked out differently. Good luck Lucy!

H said...

Good luck! I applied for that program back in the day and, sadly, was not accepted. It is a great opportunity, though, and I wish you the best!

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you!